Re: Bug: Org 9.3 table columnwidth directive not working [9.3 (release_9

From: Kyle Meyer
Subject: Re: Bug: Org 9.3 table columnwidth directive not working [9.3 (release_9.3 @ /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/)]
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2019 00:28:35 -0500

Pankaj Jangid <address@hidden> writes:

> C-c TAB is working but earlier the behaviour was to apply <width>
> directive by default on next electric formatting. Has the behaviour
> changed in 9.3?

9.2, I believe, more specifically 6d6a30d4c (org-table: Implement shrunk
columns, 2017-06-27).  The relevant NEWS entry, added in 6e5598dc3
(Document new column display, 2017-08-19), is

  *** =align= STARTUP value no longer narrow table columns

  Columns narrowing (or shrinking) is now dynamic. See [[*Dynamically
  narrow table columns]] for details. In particular, it is decoupled from
  aligning.

  If you need to automatically shrink columns upon opening an Org
  document, use =shrink= value instead, or in addition to align:

  #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
  ,#+STARTUP: align shrink
  #+END_EXAMPLE

Quickly digging, here are some related threads on the mailing list:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2017-07/msg00214.html
  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2017-09/msg00217.html