Re: included text

From: Richard Lawrence
Subject: Re: included text
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2019 23:16:27 +0100

"Fraga, Eric" <address@hidden> writes:

> Mind you, an alternative could be #+CALL-ing a src block
> that generates the text as output?

On these lines: I've been thinking recently that it would be great to be
able to tangle/export other kinds of blocks (quotes, examples, etc.) via
the same kind of mechanism that src blocks use.

This would be really useful for me for making e.g. handouts from the
file that contains notes for a talk or a paper.

I've done this in the past with src blocks containing Org source code.
So instead of writing

#+begin_quote
Yada yada
#+end_quote

I write

#+begin_src org :tangle handout.org
,#+begin_quote
Yada yada
,#+end_quote
#+end_src

and create the handout.org file via org-babel-tangle.

This works but it is pretty clunky, and you lose a lot of the benefit of
having the original quote block. For one thing, it no longer exports as
a quote from the original file, but as source code. I'd rather just
write:

#+begin_quote :tangle handout.org
Yada yada
#+end_quote

or even better:

#+name: yada-quote
#+begin_quote
Yada yada
#+end_quote

and then in handout.org, something like:

#+include: talk.org::#yada-quote

Is there anyone who would be interested in this besides just me and
Samuel? (Can this already be done somehow in a non-clunky way?? I find
John's suggestion intriguing but too clunky: it seems like I shouldn't
have to pass a block of text through a shell or Python interpreter just
to include it verbatim in another Org file!)

--
Best,
Richard