Re: [O] Poll: new keybinding for org-insert-structure-template?

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] Poll: new keybinding for org-insert-structure-template?
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2017 10:06:01 +0100

Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:

> Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> writes:

>>> No, there isn't. However, Org provides `org-mks'.
>>
>> Good point.  It isn’t quite as nice as the export dispatcher.  Let’s wait
>> and see what Eric prefers.
>
> I don't have to own this! I don't have a strong feeling about it, and
> left to my own devices would just keep the single-character keys.

It’s pretty nice and quick with only one character.

> But I see why people would want more/longer keys, and better
> discoverability.

Discoverability is nice to have, but it’s a secondary issue.

> The main desires are:
>
> 1. String keys of arbitrary length.
> 2. Discoverability: either a window of choices pops up automatically, or
>    you can do it with TAB, etc.
> 3. Ideally, you don't have to hit an extra key to finish.
>
> Given that, it seems to me that `org-mks' is just fine. It doesn't do as
> much as the export dispatcher, but I don't see that it needs to.

It doesn’t seem to offer a way to distinguish between a single "a" and
"ab".

(org-mks '(("a" "a.. templates")
           ("a" "export ascii" "")
           ("ab" "abstract" "")
           ("l" "latex" ""))
         "Select a template"
         "Template key: "
         '(("q" "Abort")))

Perhaps the best way would be to automatically reserve upper case letters
for blocks with keys longer than one character, although that seems a bit
arbitrary.

(org-mks '(("A" "a.. templates")
           ("a" "export ascii" "")
           ("Ab" "abstract" "")
           ("l" "latex" ""))
         "Select a template"
         "Template key: "
         '(("q" "Abort")))

Rasmus

--
And I faced endless streams of vendor-approved Ikea furniture. . .