Re: [O] Poll: new keybinding for org-insert-structure-template?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] Poll: new keybinding for org-insert-structure-template?
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 16:45:34 -0800

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Nicolas, are there any public interfaces to make ox export like
>>> interfaces?
>>
>> No, there isn't. However, Org provides `org-mks'.
>
> Good point.  It isn’t quite as nice as the export dispatcher.  Let’s wait
> and see what Eric prefers.

I don't have to own this! I don't have a strong feeling about it, and
left to my own devices would just keep the single-character keys. But I
see why people would want more/longer keys, and better discoverability.

The main desires are:

1. String keys of arbitrary length.
2. Discoverability: either a window of choices pops up automatically, or
   you can do it with TAB, etc.
3. Ideally, you don't have to hit an extra key to finish.

Given that, it seems to me that `org-mks' is just fine. It doesn't do as
much as the export dispatcher, but I don't see that it needs to.

The only downside is that it might make the choices a bit harder to
customize, as the table argument is more fiddly. But maybe not a big
deal.

Eric