Re: [O] Key binding popup interface

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: [O] Key binding popup interface
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 21:19:07 +0000

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 4:05 PM Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
> Problem statement: Need to have a pretty interface that shows the available
> valid key bindings.
[...]
> Of all those options and more that I've seen out there, hydra.el looks like
> the most elegant and *configurable* option.

While Hydra might include the feature you're looking for, AFAICT it does
something else than what you're looking for.

I don't follow "it does something else than what you're looking for". hydra is used to define interfaces to temporary keymaps with well-formatted hints.

I have no opinion on that part, but if a part of Hydra would be useful
for other packages, then it'd be good to split it out: for me "Hydra"
means "define a Hydra via defhydra or something like that", so if you
tell me to use Hydra to "show the available valid key bindings",
I wouldn't know where to start.

I meant that use hydra to define such interfaces.. the package authors would need to use hydra to define these interfaces. All the user would need to know is to hit some X binding to get that popup interface.

I quickly went though hydra.el.. isn't defhydra mainly what it is? What would you suggest splitting out of that library?
--

Kaushal Modi