Re: [O] [OT] A new web browser‽

From: Ramon Diaz-Uriarte
Subject: Re: [O] [OT] A new web browser‽
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 10:36:07 +0200

On Wed, 13-04-2016, at 21:44, Haider Rizvi <address@hidden> wrote:
> Ramon Diaz-Uriarte <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> For me Conkeror works just great most of the time. But the main problem
>> (for me) is that some of the extensions of Firefox will not work with
>> Conkeror.
>
> Yes, well aware of the extensions issue. Since I had no solution, I
> started looking at it as a blessing in disguise ;-) It makes me use

:-)

> less extensions, only adblock and https-everywhere right now on
> Conkeror. But then I have a lot of stuff in javascript!
>

> I could never get into zotero, when I tried last. I use a combination
> of Pocket, Evernote, and org files for research / notes taking.

In a sense, I am conceptually/aesthetically unhappy with how I keep some
things under Zotero (mostly anything that could potentially have a PDF
attached, like papers) but all the rest of my notes and links under org and
some things to learn under Anki. In practice, I somehow have adopted a
scheme that works well for me (i.e., I seem to know where to search for
what).

>> (problem being that sometimes, while browsing, I decide "let's add
>> this to Zotero" and then I need to start firefox, copy the link,
>> etc).
>
> You probably know this, but .... you can write a function and assign a
> key for this to make life a bit easier.
>
> // **** open in Firefox ****
> function open_in_firefox (url, window) {
>     var cmd_str = 'open -a firefox '+url;
>     if (window != null) {
>         window.minibuffer.message('Issuing ' + cmd_str);
>      }
>     shell_command_blind(cmd_str);
> }
>
> interactive("firefox", "Send url to Firefox",
>           function (I) {
>               open_in_firefox(I.buffer.display_uri_string, I.window);
>           });
> define_key(content_buffer_normal_keymap, "f5", "firefox");

Actually, I am very embarrassed to say I did not know this at all. In fact,
what is worse, it never occurred to me to try something like that. Thanks a
lot!!!!

Best,

R.

--