Re: [O] [OT] A new web browser‽

From: Adam Porter
Subject: Re: [O] [OT] A new web browser‽
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2016 18:17:19 +0000 (UTC)

Marcin Borkowski <mbork <at> mbork.pl> writes:

> I'm not an Opera user, so please enlighten me: what was wrong with it?
> (The only info about Opera I have is from one of my friends, who liked
> it a lot a few years ago.)

I've never really been an Opera user either, other than trying it briefly.
>From what I know, after many years of having their own engine, they dumped
it in favor of Google's Blink (forked from WebKit).  They seemed to have
sort of a "cult following" with many intensely loyal users, but then they
went a different direction.  And now it sounds like some of the original
Opera folks are doing this new browser.  But again, I've never really kept
up, so if you want to know the real story...  :)

I *can* highly recommend Pentadactyl.  It seems like the best of the
Vim-style extensions for Firefox, has been steadily and tirelessly updated
over the years to keep up with Mozilla's churn, and is very stable.  I
haven't been converted to EVIL yet, but I have always found Vim's modal
style very efficient for web browsing.