Re: [O] bug in org-habits

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: [O] bug in org-habits
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2015 16:36:25 -0500

> Well, that's precisely the thing that doesn't scale and that Nicolas wanted
> to avoid. Putting the properties at the beginning of an entry makes the
> search pretty much constant time and if you find something else at the start
> of the entry then you know there aren't any and can go on (this is pretty
> important for making sure property inheritance works correctly, among other
> things). If you could put them _anywhere_ else, you'd have to keep searching
> until you either find them or you've exhausted the span of the entry.

As a user, I'm willing to pay that cost. Also, I never have other property
drawers. If it were just doing (re-search-forward "^:PROPERTIES:$"
(end-of-entry)), then it wouldn't matter where the properties drawer was, so
long as it's understood that the search may be wrong if the user has such a
string appearing elsewhere.

John