Re: [O] [DEV] Bump Emacs requirement to 24.4?

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] [DEV] Bump Emacs requirement to 24.4?
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 01:01:29 +0200

Hi Nicolas and all,

As Achim said, we may have been miscommunicating, especially on
whether it was about requiring Emacs 23+ or 24.3 vs 24.4.

Here is my decision on this issue:

- the Org 8.x series will be Emacs 23+ compatible.

- the Org 9.x series will be Emacs 24.3+ compatible.

Emacs 23 and XEmacs support will be officially dropped as of Org 9.0.

The maint branch continues to be used to work on minor releases, as it
has always been used.

Instead of reverting changes from the master branch (you clearly don't
want to do that, and I don't either), I suggest we create a new branch
called "org-8-master" for Org 8.4+, and continue to use master for Org
9.x+ (i.e. "major major releases").

This is temporary: once the 9.0 version is released, we can simply use
maint and master as before, and delete org-8-master.

The reason for this is that we need to make room for new features in
the 8.x series, so that these new features will be available to the
Emacs 23 users.

If we drop Emacs 23 support as of Org 8.4, we won't be able to add new
features (e.g. new export backends) for Emacs 23.

I recognize having the manpower to watch after those branches might be
an issue, but we can overcome it by calling for careful testing before
major releases.

Let me know what you think,

--
 Bastien