Re: [O] [DEV] Bump Emacs requirement to 24.4?

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] [DEV] Bump Emacs requirement to 24.4?
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2015 11:51:58 +0200

Bastien Guerry <address@hidden> writes:

> We can also simply revert those change and wait for the decision
> to be taken.  This is a matter of waiting ~10 days I'd say.

Revert any commit you want to your heart's content. Note however, that
I deleted my corresponding local branches, so you may want to do some
back-up prior to this.

>> Also, Emacs 24.3 was released in March, 2013.  By the time the next Org is
>> released, it will be more than 3 years old.
>
> Com'on :)
>
> I'm back for good and don't plan to wait years between releases.
> I wish we can release 8.4 at the end of August and 9.0 in October.

I'm lost here. There is only one change so far in development branch
that does not require Emacs 24.3+. What do you want to put in 8.4 that
cannot fit in 8.3.2 or 8.3.3?

Could you explain a bit what naming scheme you have in mind?

> My simple point is: let's get more information and let's take a
> proper decision.  Let's not force the change.

It's still not clear what information you're after. Switching to lexical
binding, counting on cl-lib.el, and so on, is the way to go. What do you
expect in delaying this change?

Regards,