Re: [O] [OFF TOPIC] almost giving up on emacs email..looking for advice?

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [O] [OFF TOPIC] almost giving up on emacs email..looking for advice?
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2015 10:31:21 -0400

I am a happy mu4e + offlineimap user since January. Gmail is my mail
server, and I also check mail by phone, tablet, sometimes browser. I run
on a Mac with no issues so far. I would guess you could get a similar
setup on Linux easily enough. I never got a good solution on Windows.

To be fair, I have it set up to only update every 20 minutes, which I
like, and I can force it to update when I want, or sometimes I switch to
a browser at times where I need real-time updates. Most of the time I
don't want that though!

I did hack some things to get it more like the gmail experience I am
accustomed to like archiving, and I did hack a function to remove myself
from replies.

(defun remove-kitchin-emails ()
  "Removes me from the CC list. I do not need my own emails that I send."
  (interactive)
  (message-goto-cc)
  (save-restriction
    (let ((end (point))
          (start))

      (beginning-of-line)
      (setq start (point))
      (narrow-to-region start end)
      (mapc
       (lambda (email-to-remove)
         (beginning-of-line)
         (when  (re-search-forward email-to-remove nil t)
           (replace-match "")))
       '("John Kitchin <address@hidden>,?"
         "John Kitchin <address@hidden>,?"
         "address@hidden,>"
         "address@hidden,>"
         "address@hidden,?"))))
  (message-goto-to)
  (when (message-field-value "To")
    (message-goto-body)))

;; append and make local
(add-hook 'mu4e-compose-mode-hook 'remove-kitchin-emails t)

I also built a helm-contacts completion tool that is better than the
completion I could use out of the box.

Anyway, it took a while to get what I wanted, but I have hardly any
complaints about it now that it works!

Xebar Saram writes:

> Hi list
>
> I know this is a bit off topic but im desperately looking for some advice
> regarding email through emacs.
>
> i have tried a bunch of them over the last month (gnus, mu4e, wanderlust,
> rmail,mew and maybe other i forget).
> I had various levels of success with each one to setup (it was never easy)
> but i ended up sorta settling on mu4e. the problem is that mu4e never
> managed to work properly for me (headers were not updating when new mail
> arrived, reply was broken etc) so i had to give up
>
> What i want is basically pretty simple. an easy to setup email for emacs,
> but one that would work tightly with gmail since i do a lot of mail
> checking on the road via my cellphone.
>
> any advise. recommendations or setups that maybe people are willing to
> share?
>
> thx so much in advance

Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F