Re: [O] Recently emacs hangs on startup due to ESS

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] Recently emacs hangs on startup due to ESS
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 17:20:57 -0500

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 5:07 PM, Cook, Malcolm <address@hidden> wrote:
> I would install latest ess fresh.

I wondered about that as well, so I tried that prior to posting here.
Sorry, I should have listed my version, which is now 15.03-1.

> What version of emacs?  The package manager is a moving target these days.

GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.16.2)
(installed via Arch Linux standard package)

> Try to use the package manager to interactively install the latest
>
>> - emacs -Q
>> following:
>> http://melpa.org/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#/getting-started
>> - putting this in the buffer
>
> (require 'package) ;; You might already have this line
> (add-to-list 'package-archives
>              '("melpa" . "http://melpa.org/packages/";) t)
> (when (< emacs-major-version 24)
>   ;; For important compatibility libraries like cl-lib
>   (add-to-list 'package-archives '("gnu" . "http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/";)))
> (package-initialize) ;; You might already have this line

I could do this, though I've sort of decided to steer away from
packages and just manage things manually via my ~/.elisp/site-lisp
folder. Would this have an affect? My process was to simply download
the .zip of ESS, and unpack to ~/.elisp/site-lisp/ess (after deleting
the old version). This way, my .emacs can continue to point to
~/.elisp/site-lisp/ess/lisp regardless of what version I have.

If manual vs. [m]elpa would make a difference, I suppose I could give
the above a whirl.

Best regards,
John