Re: [O] Recently emacs hangs on startup due to ESS

From: Cook, Malcolm
Subject: Re: [O] Recently emacs hangs on startup due to ESS
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 22:07:50 +0000

I would install latest ess fresh.

What version of emacs?  The package manager is a moving target these days.

Try to use the package manager to interactively install the latest

> - emacs -Q
> following:
> http://melpa.org/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#/getting-started
> - putting this in the buffer

(require 'package) ;; You might already have this line
(add-to-list 'package-archives
             '("melpa" . "http://melpa.org/packages/";) t)
(when (< emacs-major-version 24)
  ;; For important compatibility libraries like cl-lib
  (add-to-list 'package-archives '("gnu" . "http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/";)))
(package-initialize) ;; You might already have this line

> - M-x eval-region on the above lines

Then, M-x list-packages and install it by positioning the cursor on the line
mentioning the ess package from melpa and typing "I".

The type "x" to execute your decision, and confirm with "yes".

Now, delete or move/hide your old ess bits and restart emacs.

Did it work?