Re: [O] Marking/highlighting text temporarily

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] Marking/highlighting text temporarily
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 16:49:20 -0400

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:

>>> E.g. "Sentence about BAR [TODO: add reference to FOO and check BAZ]".  I
>>> don't need that in my agenda.
>>
>> Exactly.  I use inlinetasks a lot for file local TODO items that are not
>> meant to appear in my agenda.  They are notes for things I need to do,
>> typically, to finish a paper.  Being able to "C-c / t" to find them all
>> easily is great.  I would expect the same functionality from any
>> replacement.
>
> Would it be bad if I admit I have no idea how to use sparse trees?  The
> remind me of Vim, except in Vim i eventually figured out that I could quit
> it via :q.
>
> I would probably use occur or a restricted agenda.
>
> I would want inlinetodos in my "global"/usual agenda.
>
>> In terms of format, I also dislike opening and closing tags except for
>> short formatting uses.  I would prefer [COMMENT: this is very
>> interesting] and [TODO: I need to update this].  Or even [[TODO:...]] to
>> be less worried about running into problems with text use of [...].
>
> I think [[TODO:]] is a link...

We're coming back around to the beginning of the conversation!

I still think we started off talking about two different things. One is
a replacement for inlinetasks that's actually inline. The other is an
annotation system that could be used for collaboration, and might be
taking aim at Track Changes in some way. It looks like we've gone off in
the inlinetasks direction.

I'll admit that what I really want is an honest-to-goodness
first-class-citizen inline TODO. Something attached to a specific run of
text, that has a TODO keyword and tags. Probably scheduling? Probably
not properties, I don't know. Personally I'd prefer that the contents of
the TODO were hidden (a la links), because (like Eric F) I would use
this for notes on pieces of writing, and having big ugly chunks of
highlighted spaghetti in the middle of a paragraph makes it hard to
write.

How technically difficult would that be? If it slows down agenda
creation too badly, maybe we could have a user option that defaults to
skipping inline todos in agenda creation.

I was lukewarm about Nicolas' earlier syntax proposal because it simply
doesn't seem distinct enough from footnotes.

Just some random reactions,
Eric