Re: [O] A Microsoftesque detail in org

From: Jarmo Hurri
Subject: Re: [O] A Microsoftesque detail in org
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 15:15:39 +0300

Titus von der Malsburg <address@hidden> writes:

>>> I am not sure what you mean, since a single undo will always heal
>>> the line again, regardless of where you break it.
>>
>> Sure.  But that seems orthogonal to the problem at hand.  Re (i): Assume
>> TODO is keyword.  We don't know that TO is.  Re (ii): [#B] is a cookie.
>> [#B is not.  (iii) iii :tag: is a tag :ta is not.  The editor should not
>> easily produce invalid syntax.
>
> I disagree with that last statement.  I’m not aware of any Emacs mode
> (or any other text editor for that matter) that prevents me from
> producing invalid syntax.  A text editor preventing invalid syntax is
> actually not even desirable because the path from one syntactically
> valid state of the document to the next often leads through invalid
> states.  If you really want to prevent temporarily invalid documents,
> the result is going to be some kind of GUI application, not a text
> editor.  While that may be a valid solution for some people, it is
> certainly not the Emacs way of doing things.

Exactly!

I would prefer that by default there is no "intelligence" in the return
key, but more intelligence can be added as an option. (The problem with
Microsoft programs is exactly the fact that too much "intelligence" is
the default.)

I leave it to the wiser men to decide. Over and out from me.

Jarmo