Re: [O] A Microsoftesque detail in org

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: Re: [O] A Microsoftesque detail in org
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 13:29:45 +0200

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Rainer M Krug <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> OK - this makes sense. But instead of jumping to the next line, a
>> splitting of the header into two would make more sense, keeping the
>> correct syntax.
>
> That is literally what my patch does IF you are in region four (more
> or less) of org-complex-heading-regexp.

Sorry - I did not look into the patch - but that sounds perfect.

>> Jumping to the next line is actually counter intuitive, as this is
>> pure movement.
>
> It's what it does in tables (most of the time).  What would be better?

For me, tables area a slightly different story, as they can not contain
line breaks. OK - you could argue headers neither. I think you got me
there. But the syntax in a table is more "abstract" then in a straight
header. Is you have priorities, tags, ... it is different, story.

But as you are asking, one more consistent possibility for tables would
be to *split* the cell where the cursor sits, (as in normal text) and
create a new empty row below the one the cursor is in with the cell
containing the remainder of the cell above. So:

| test 1 | re | t |
| test 2 | a  | b |
| test 3 | c  | d |

with cursor in the space in "test 2" would become
| test 1 | re | t |
| test 2 | a  | b |
| 2      |    |   |
| test 3 | c  | d |

But I would not suggest due to the table nature.

Cheers,

Rainer

> —Rasmus

Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Centre of Excellence for Invasion Biology Stellenbosch University South
Africa

Tel : +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44 Cell: +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98 Fax : +33 -
(0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D): +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email: address@hidden

Skype: RMkrug