Re: [O] Target and link text normalised to `orgtargetn'

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: [O] Target and link text normalised to `orgtargetn'
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 15:24:25 +0200

Hi Nicolas,

On Sun, Apr 19, 2015 at 02:57:09PM +0200, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Suvayu Ali <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Sorry, I don't think I quite understand.  AFAIU, targets like
> > <<interesting>> have to be unique even inside the Org buffer for links
> > like this to work: [[interesting][very cool]], regardless of export.  So
> > then why rename them during export?
>
> There's no guarantee that, e.g., \label{interesting} is a valid syntax.
> Think about <<100%>> for LaTeX. Actually such links were broken for
> non-ASCII characters before the patch.
>
> Note that this is transparent for the user: if <<interesting>> becomes
> \label{foo}, [[interesting][very cool]] automatically becomes
> \hyperref[foo]{very cool}.
>
> Your problem is different AFAIU. You are relying on the internal pattern
> of generated labels, i.e., you are eating Org's dog food. I advise
> against it.

Yes indeed.  I wanted to use the location information provided by
refstyle, and varioref.  By using \secref or \vpageref I would get
references like: section §3, on page 5, etc.

> If you need explicitly "\label{interesting}", ask Org to write it with,
> e.g., "@@latex:\label{foo}@@" or even better
>
> #+MACRO: lbl @@latex:\label{$1}@@
>
>   {{{lbl(foo)}}}

Okay I see it now, in your last email I got a bit confused, but now I
follow.  With your solution I use both label and reference using LaTeX,
bypassing Org.  Of course this leaves me with links not working inside
Org.  I was eventually going to use filters to transform the ref
commands to the alternate ones from refstyle and varioref to get both
LaTeX and Org side working as I wanted.  Something like this:

  <<sec:interesting>>

  [[sec:interesting]]

Then transform \ref{sec:interesting} → \secref{sec:interesting} with a
filter; that way I would have my cake and eat it too!  I see your point
though.

Thanks a lot for the comments.  :)

Cheers,

--