Re: [O] Managing articles in orgmode and collaboration

From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
Subject: Re: [O] Managing articles in orgmode and collaboration
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 09:52:26 -0400

Christoph Groth writes:
But not all is good: - Scaling: Some simple tests seem to indicate that org mode becomes too sluggish with files of about 50k lines. This is a dimension that could be easily reached over 10 years if the file grows by 20 lines per day on average. This is not a problem in the beginning, but if the scheme does not scale to a few thousand entries, this renders the whole idea way less interesting. - More advanced searching is lacking: AFAIK org mode currently does not support searching for articles of a given author that also contain a given keyword in the notes. Any insights about these two problems? Perhaps the scaling could be managed by splitting index.org into several files (by year for example). But how to search then? It's probably not a good idea to add all the bibliography org-files into the agenda. (Is there a way to have a secondary list of agenda files?) Perhaps the solution for both problems would be to write a fast commandline query tool for such org-databases? The tool could even use a fast cache if necessary.

BibTeX provides bibtex-search-entries (in a bib file it is bound to C-c C-a), which searches for entries with a certain field matching a regexp. Perhaps you want to take advantage of that function to direct your org searches to bib files and back. Check also bibtex-files and bibtex-search-entry-globally, since you would then be able to split the org files and export into several bib files if a single bib file proves too much. My current articles.bib is about 14k lines, and it is not sluggish at all, but I will have to wait a couple of years until I tell you if a 50k one would be.

Best,

--
Jorge.