Re: [O] Managing articles in orgmode and collaboration

From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
Subject: Re: [O] Managing articles in orgmode and collaboration
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2014 12:56:27 -0400

Thomas S. Dye writes:
I don't manage my bibliography references in Org mode. I am used to managing a bibtex database and have never found the need to move everything to Org.

Same here.

Bibtex mode has functions for automatic reference key generation: http://www.jonathanleroux.org/bibtex-mode.html#0630
You can configure this process.

You can also download the .bib from Google Scholar or whatever and then clean the entry, so that your database has the same format.

Either a separate bibtex file for each article, or separate bibtex files for each co-author.

Or better do both...

#+BEGIN_SRC latex \bibliography{/home/you/references/articles.bib}
 % \bibliography{/home/collaborator_1/references/articles.bib}
 % \bibliography{/home/collaborator_2/references/articles.bib}
 \bibliography{references}

#+END_SRC

When a collaborator_i is working on the file she/he comments the first line and uncomments the i-th line AND everybody runs reftex-create-bibtex-file (or copy paste the new references for the unfortunate non-emacs user) after adding new references and finishing editing. Everybody shares a current version of the .tex file and the references.bib file.

In general, you'll want to have the bibtex file(s) for an article only contain the references that you'll use in the article, especially if you intend to distribute the bibtex files as part of a reproducible research project.

Note that when the article is ready the references.bib is the only thing you need to compile, since it has all the references, so you erase the all the other \bibliography's

There are tools that use the information in your article .tex files to create this kind of bibtex file from a larger bibtex database.

Yes, emacs via reftex-create-bibtex-file =)

Best,

--
Jorge.