Re: [O] Outline cycling does not preserve point's position

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: [O] Outline cycling does not preserve point's position
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 20:58:43 +0200

Hi Nicolas,

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 06:33:16PM +0200, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:

> Suvayu Ali <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 11:02:35AM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> >>
> >> And by linear, I think we don't mean strictly linear, but on a
> >> paragraph/table/item scale, ignoring hierarchy.
> >
> > Yes.  However I think I differ a bit on items.  For me in a list like
> > the following, I would call moving by paragraphs _within_ the list items
> > linear; so, "Lorem..." → "Cras..." → "Integer..." → "Aenean..." →
> > "Pellentesque...", and so on.
>
> Here's a first draft for the linear forward motion. Disclaimer: I didn't
> test it thoroughly.
>
>   (defun org-forward-linear-element ()

Some comments and a backtrace (I used the corrected 2nd revision):

1. When traversing the file header, goes one line at a time.  I would
   expect to go to the next blank line.  In the attached Org file, from
   somewhere on #+TITLE to the blank line before the first headline.

2. Skips whole source block even if there are blank lines.  So can't
   navigate large source blocks for small edits.  Try on the python
   source block under the first headline.

3. Goes through each row of a table instead of going over the table in
   one go.  Start with cursor on "From ConDBBrowser:".

4. Skips the whole body under a headline when followed by link.  Try
   putting point on the headline "Important points" and move; you will
   jump to "Tagging Issues" instead of the link and the list after.

How can I test going backward?

--
Suvayu