Re: [O] Outline cycling does not preserve point's position

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: [O] Outline cycling does not preserve point's position
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 10:50:57 +0200

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 10:16:06AM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> The question is:  What are people using C-arrow for?
>
> I think the main application is reasonably fast motion
> and selection in a *linear* way.  Is this correct, or do people
> disagree here with me?

I use it for navigating a buffer (not necessarily Org) linearly; i.e. go
back and forth between parts I'm working on or to peruse the contents of
a file.  That said, often I feel the need for a navigation command which
allows me to navigate the semantics of the buffer (which exactly what
Nicolas's elements based navigation does).

> The amazing element motion commands Nicolas has implement
> correspond to sexp motion, as he has said himself.
> Maybe C-M-f and C-M-b are the better binding match for these?

I think you are right here.  There is a need for both.  For me, I use
linear navigation more commonly; so I would prefer C-<up/down> for
linear navigation and some other bindings (like C-M-f/b, as you suggest)
for the elements based motion.

Cheers,

--
Suvayu