[O] Android MobileOrg and appointments; ICS export and Google Calendar (

From: Karl Voit
Subject: [O] Android MobileOrg and appointments; ICS export and Google Calendar (was: OT: Android, external HW-keyboard and Emacs)
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 12:33:39 +0200

* Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> wrote:

> I tried out the sync to calendar option in MobileOrg.  It synced tasks
> (i.e. scheduled and deadline entries) but not entries with just active
> time stamps which are what I use for appointments.

Too bad.

> In my use of org, I have a clear distinction between tasks and
> appointments.  I schedule tasks to days but not times.
> Appointments are not tasks as they disappear whether I attended
> them or not whereas tasks persist.

Same here.

> I would like active time stamps to appear in my calendar for the
> "at a glance" identification of free and busy times and for
> reminders of when I need to be somewhere.  I prefer to keep task
> information in org and not in my Google calendar so MobileOrg's
> behaviour is exactly the opposite of what I wanted unfortunately.

Thanks you very much for this comment. This spares me trying out
"Agenda > MobileOrg > Android Calendar" for now.

So I have to stay with Google Calendar until I find something
better.

Related to this and in case of interest:

I implemented a Python-tool to filter my ICS export file. It removes
everything except few things such that I basically get a
free/busy-only ICS file. I can easily share it with friends without
having too much privacy issues. Get the tool at [1] if you need this
feature.

I also implemented a Python-tool that injects Google Calendar alarms
for tags on appointments like :rem15: (remind me 15 minutes ahead)
on [2]. However, this does not work yet because Google seems to
ignore ICS alarms while importing the file :-( (No solution found
yet)

  1. https://github.com/novoid/convert_iCal_to_free-busy-only
  2. https://github.com/novoid/postprocess_Org-mode_iCal_export
--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github