Re: [O] Org-mode as a replacement for Google Reader

From: Rainer M. Krug
Subject: Re: [O] Org-mode as a replacement for Google Reader
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 09:47:35 +0200

Steinar Bang <address@hidden> writes:

>> On the one hand, I do not have any Gnus experience
>
> It doesn't have to be Gnus.  Any NNTP client will work with feeds on
> gwene.  On the PC you could eg. use Thunderbird.
>
>> and from the things I already read about Gnus configuration, I want to
>> keep it that way.
>
> There is a big difference in what you _can_ do, and what you have to do.
>
> If you just want to read news with NNTP you basically only have to point
> it to at least one NNTP server (eg. gwene).
>
>> On the other hand, Gnus does not offer something to sync with for the
>> Android platform AFAIK.
>
> If you want a gwene reader for the android platform you will have to
> find an NNTP client for android.  I don't know if there is one... well
> seems to be a couple:
>
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ken.android.nntpreader.pro&hl=no

There is, imho, one big difference between using google reader and gwene
with any desktop news reader: as far as I know, you can not sync read
items between ydifferent readers (desktops, mobile devices, tablets,
...). This is for me a problem, as I mainly read from my iPad, and
sometimes friom my desktop. But I want to see only the news which I did
not read on the other device. So something like an imap implementation
for gwene would be needed to make it a *very* interesting solution for
me. As it stands at the moment, I registered with feedly [1] which
syncs with google reader (while it still exists) and provides very
similar benefits.

If I could sync my gnus (it is really not that difficult to get started,
but much more difficult to not get carried away with configuring and
tweaking - just because one can... But I love gnus: highly recommended)
with my mobile device, I will stick with feedly.

Cheers,

Rainer

<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

Footnotes: