Re: [O] How to get numbered lists (1), (2), … ?

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] How to get numbered lists (1), (2), … ?
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 16:28:34 -0400

Marius Hofert <address@hidden> wrote:

> What do you mean by "better solution"? As far as I can tell, your
> approach is precisely what Suvayu pointed to.

No: what Suvayu pointed to can be done with the standard latex exporter,
so it would not require changes to org-list-generic-to-latex. Just add
something like this at the top of your org file:

#+LATEX: \renewcommand{\theenumi}{(\arabic{enumi})}

It's better in that it is simpler. There are drawbacks however: the
above produces lists like this:

(1). foo
(2). bar

with a period after the closing paren.

> Using your approach, of course much more is possible, please look at
> the create "enumitem" package with all its customizations.

That is true: which one is "better" depends on one's requirements (both
the desired output and how much pain one is willing to suffer in order
to get there).

> But this approach is a no-go for me (at least at the moment) mainly
> due to the following reasons (please let me know if I'm wrong, I'm a
> total newbie to org-mode):

> 1) I have about 40 lists in one file. Having to put in special LaTeX
> commands is not an option (maybe on only has to type it in once, but
> then it can easily get overseen, e.g., when you move lists around and
> the one containing the LaTeX commands is not the first one in the
> document anymore)

That's no problem: the LATEX_HEADER line goes in once at the top
of the org file. You can move lists around at will.

> 2) org-mode is basically a "better" text-mode. I don't want to have
> LaTeX code in there if I print it as a .txt file.
>
> Is there a solution without having to put #+LATEX_HEADER:
> \usepackage{enumerate} before each list? Can this be set anywhere in
> the preferences?

You can customize the latex preamble that org adds to latex files to do
that. The disadvantage is that you get the modified preamble always.
See the org-export-latex-packages-alist variable for one way to do that.

> But I assume that I still have to put in lists in org-mode like this:
> 1.,2.,... or 1),2),... and can't put them in like this (1),(2),...?

Correct: that would require changes to org-list.el I think - but Nicolas
will have to say the final word on this. All the solutions so far work
by modifying the latex output only, not the way you enter the list into
the org file.

Nick