Re: [Orgmode] Status google calendar sync

From: Arun Persaud
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Status google calendar sync
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 16:52:24 -0800

Hi

> You are right that googlecl is poorly documented, and worse, it doesn't
> even work as the documentation says it should.  Try retrieving calendar
> events with --fields="title,when" and see what happens.  I get the
> title printed out but the "when" always comes out as None.

my man pages for googlecl don't mention a "fields" options. Doing

"google calendar list when,where,title"

works for me though (using googlecl that comes with openSUSE 11.3).

> However, I have had better luck with the python gdata interface.  The
> docs aren't much better but I have managed to figure out how to modify
> an existing event using it.  And, there are examples of how to search
> for specific events...

cool, do you have this integrated with org? if so could you post the code?

> While using googlecl might be interesting it would probably be simpler
> to come up with a specific library for doing the things that need to
> be done directly with gdata (which is what googlecl uses anyway) and
> calling scripts that make use of this specific library, instead.

I guess one could also use google calendar completely without googlecl
or gdata, since you can point google at an .ics file to import it into
google's calendar and Eric's script already handles the other way
(google->org).

Arun