Re: [Orgmode] Status google calendar sync

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Status google calendar sync
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 23:58:30 +0000

I also have been syncing between my Google calendar and org.  A while
back, I posted this message onto this list:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/26848

but check out later messages in the thread for an updated awk script.
This dealt with converting a Google calendar into an org file.  I still
use this.

For the other route, org to Google, I use the googlecl (command line)
interface:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/27214

Again, check out the subsequent messages in this thread.

I have promised to write this procedure up for Worg but have not managed
(yet) to get around to it.  Sorry.

Arun Persaud <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> I haven't figured out how to export org to ics, so that google can read
> it... I would like to export only items that have a start and an end
> timestamp and don't have a google tag (which they get when they are
> imported from google). I think I need to add this to
> org-icalendar-verify-function, but don't know enough lisp to write
> something like this... any ideas?
>
> Ian: how do you export to ics? Complete via python?

Straightforward actually:

#!/bin/sh -f
#
# export the diary (not all the agenda files) to iCal format and upload this
# to where Google's calendar application can find it so that all my diary
# entries are available on my phone (and obviously on the web as well!)
#
# 2010-06-30
DIARY=${HOME}/git/notes/diary
emacs -Q --batch --debug-init \
    --directory=${HOME}/s/emacs --directory=/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex \
    --load=esf-org.el --visit=${DIARY}.org
--eval='(org-export-icalendar-this-file)'
scp ${DIARY}.ics SOMEWHEREONTHEWEB.ics

This script starts up emacs with my specific org customisations (and it
needs auctex as texmathp is loaded by org-latex), visits my main diary
file, evaluates the specific export function and then copies this file
to somewhere on the web.  This latter location is where I have told
Google to load entries from.  Google does this once a day, I believe,
some time in the middle of the night (my time).  I use this as a backup
to the direct entry to Google's calendar described above: I essentially
have two calendars in Google which correspond to org entries.  At some
point, I will (soon probably) stop doing this conversion approach and
rely on the google command line alone as the latter has proved to be
robust enough in general.

Hope this helps.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.231.ge879)