[Orgmode] Re: [WISH] Org Importers

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [WISH] Org Importers
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 17:03:17 +0530

Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:

> Jambunathan K <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Eric
>>
>>> However, what would be ideal would be if there were a tool which would
>>> take a Word document with /track changes/ and generate a patch file for
>>> a text version of that document...  that could then provide some
>>> mechanism for getting changes back into an org document (modulo problems
>>> with line re-arrangements unfortunately).  Just a pipe dream...
>>
>> If you allow me some liberty, the suggestion is in two parts
>>
>> 1. Word/Pdf/Latex->Org converter
>> 2. Change tracking within Org
>>
>> For most of us who write or work with copious amount of text, (1) could
>> really be useful. If it gains sufficient escape velocity it can land us
>> in a far off galaxy. (2) could be useful but a bit far-fetched at the
>> moment.
>
> I'm not sure I understand.  change tracking in org is trivial (git,
> mercurial, etc); it's extracting Word change tracking information in a
> form usable by other tools that is not trivial...

My intention was really to bring attention to the need for importers and
how useful they could be. Looks like the thread is veering in another
direction ...

As for change tracking, I will have insightful things to say once I get
to look at the details of how OpenDocument manages the same.

Jambunathan K.