[Orgmode] Re: [WISH] Org Importers

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [WISH] Org Importers
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 20:00:32 -0400

Jambunathan K <address@hidden> writes:

>> However, what would be ideal would be if there were a tool which would
>> take a Word document with /track changes/ and generate a patch file for
>> a text version of that document...  that could then provide some
>> mechanism for getting changes back into an org document (modulo problems
>> with line re-arrangements unfortunately).  Just a pipe dream...
>
> If you allow me some liberty, the suggestion is in two parts
>
> 1. Word/Pdf/Latex->Org converter
>
> I have suggested or hinted elsewhere (in a babel thread) the need for
> importing in to Org from other formats.

FWIW, I have a home-brewed perl script that converts latex documents to
org-mode files. Loosely based on latex2doc[1], it uses a latex style
file (generated by the perl script) to markup the pdf output (e.g.
asterisks for section headings, etc.). The org-formatted pdf is then
converted to plain text with pdftotext.

It's a crude and by no means comprehensive hack designed to meet my own
peculiar needs. But I'd be happy to share it on Worg (with ample
disclaimers) if anyone is interested.

Best,
Matt

Footnotes: