[Orgmode] Re: General question on dealing with Latex to word conversion

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: General question on dealing with Latex to word conversion
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 20:23:10 -0400

Marvin Doyley <address@hidden> writes:

> Org mode is now a part of my daily work-flow, not only do I use it for
> teaching, scheduling my time, but I also use it to store my research
> notes. The only snag is several of my collaborators is tied to
> microsoft word, and thus my only work around is to  export my notes and
> draft from Org to plain text and then reformat everything in word,
> which real time sync., especially when I have to retype equations in
> Mathtype.  I know there are bunch of commercial software that claim to
> be able to convert latex files to word, but most are far from perfect.
> Is there a more efficient way of tacking this  problem ?  Is there is
> any plans of developing a org-export-rtf or org-export-docx  function ?

There is now an FAQ on converting to odt/rtf/doc, since there have been
several threads on this question recently:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#convert-to-open-office

The FAQ is based largely on the helpful discussion of this issue late
last month:

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/31168

Please feel free to suggest other methods you'd like to see in the FAQ.

Marvin: I'm not sure whether the methods in the FAQ address the problem
of math equations. I believe that some exporters (such as latex2rtf)
convert equations to images, while others (such as ttf) try to render
them in html, etc. Might I ask which converters[1] you have tried? I
might be helpful for the org community to know what does *not* work.
I've had great success with tex4ht and latex2rtf, but my documents don't
include math equations. :)

Best,
Matt

Footnotes: