[Orgmode] Re: [ANN] List improvement v.2

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [ANN] List improvement v.2
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 23:54:46 -0400

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have now merged Nicolas' branch into the current master.  Hopefully
> all will go well.
> If not, I am sure Nicolas can fix things on short notice.
>
> Thanks to Nicolas for the big chunk of work!

Thanks, Nicolas, for all your work on this! Here are a couple pieces of
feedback:

1. On my machine, toggling a checkbox within a long list takes a long
   time. I have a 200+ item list. It takes approximately 5 seconds for
   org to toggle a single checkbox within the list (see elp results
   below).[1] With the previous list implementation, toggling happened
   immediately. (Note: I am not using headline cookies in conjunction
   with that particular list.)

2. Typing C-c C-x C-b on the following headline correctly checks all
   boxes; typing C-c C-x C-b again, however, does not uncheck the boxes:

* TODO headline with checkboxes
  SCHEDULED: <2010-09-04 Sat +1d>
  :LOGBOOK:
  - State "DONE"       from "STARTED"    [2010-09-03 Fri 23:46]
  CLOCK: [2010-09-03 Fri 23:30]--[2010-09-03 Fri 23:46] =>  0:16
  :END:
  :PROPERTIES:
  :LAST_REPEAT: [2010-09-03 Fri 23:46]
  :END:

  - [ ] One
  - [ ] Two
  - [ ] Three

I believe the problem has to do with the presence of an extra list item
(i.e., the state change item). The following headline toggles all
checkboxes on and off correctly:

* TODO headline with checkboxes

  - [ ] One
  - [ ] Two
  - [ ] Three

Best,

Matt

Footnotes:

[1] elp results when toggling a checkbox within a large list

org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c                                             1
5.68269       5.68269
org-toggle-checkbox                                           1
5.650102      5.650102
org-update-checkbox-count-maybe                               1
5.648023      5.648023
org-update-checkbox-count                                     1
5.648003      5.648003
org-end-of-item                                               232
5.3426449999  0.0230286422
org-list-bottom-point                                         233
4.3239439999  0.0185576995
org-list-bottom-point-with-indent                             233
3.921707      0.0168313605
org-get-indentation                                           29365
1.4235310000  4.847...e-05
org-list-maybe-skip-block                                     2138
1.2333620000  0.0005768765
org-list-search-unenclosed-generic                            2376
1.1932790000  0.0005022218
org-search-backward-unenclosed                                1646
1.0381150000  0.0006306895
org-get-item-beginning                                        942
0.8054259999  0.0008550169
org-at-item-p                                                 28838
0.7241530000  2.511...e-05
org-get-end-of-item                                           232
0.570308      0.0024582241
org-get-next-item                                             232
0.5490350000  0.0023665301
org-list-get-item-same-level                                  232
0.545578      0.0023516293
org-in-item-p                                                 232
0.4611839999  0.0019878620
org-list-bottom-point-with-regexp                             233
0.2118030000  0.0009090257
org-search-forward-unenclosed                                 730
0.1853020000  0.0002538383
org-list-in-item-p-with-regexp                                232
0.1458080000  0.0006284827
org-list-in-item-p-with-indent                                232
0.1198680000  0.0005166724
org-list-ending-between                                       466
0.0946269999  0.0002030622
org-list-repair                                               1
0.030683      0.030683
org-get-end-of-list                                           11
0.0180769999  0.0016433636
org-list-struct                                               1
0.008442      0.008442
org-on-heading-p                                              466
0.0069959999  1.501...e-05
org-entry-get                                                 2
0.003465      0.0017325
org-get-property-block                                        2
0.00342       0.00171
org-at-heading-p                                              232
0.0027940000  1.204...e-05
org-checkbox-blocked-p                                        1
0.00161       0.00161
org-list-end-re                                               466
0.0013310000  2.856...e-06
org-list-struct-assoc-at-point                                13
0.0008569999  6.592...e-05
org-list-top-point                                            1
0.000853      0.000853
org-in-regexp                                                 4
0.0007769999  0.0001942499
org-back-to-heading                                           4
0.000721      0.00018025
org-footnote-at-reference-p                                   1
0.000679      0.000679
org-list-top-point-with-indent                                1
0.000507      0.000507
org-list-struct-fix-struct                                    1
0.000486      0.000486
org-babel-execute-safely-maybe                                1
0.000364      0.000364
org-babel-execute-maybe                                       1
0.000352      0.000352
org-list-struct-fix-bul                                       1
0.000313      0.000313
org-babel-execute-src-block-maybe                             1
0.000267      0.000267
org-at-item-checkbox-p                                        4
0.00026       6.5e-05
org-babel-get-src-block-info                                  1
0.000255      0.000255
org-list-top-point-with-regexp                                1
0.000232      0.000232
org-list-at-regexp-after-bullet-p                             4
0.000216      5.4e-05
org-footnote-at-definition-p                                  1
0.000186      0.000186
org-babel-where-is-src-block-head                             1
0.000137      0.000137
org-list-struct-fix-ind                                       1
0.000137      0.000137
org-list-send-list                                            1
0.000118      0.000118
org-on-target-p                                               1
9.2e-05       9.2e-05
org-activate-footnote-links                                   1
8.4e-05       8.4e-05
org-font-lock-hook                                            1
8.3e-05       8.3e-05
org-inlinetask-fontify                                        1
6.9e-05       6.9e-05
org-list-bullet-string                                        1
6.8e-05       6.8e-05
org-fontify-meta-lines-and-blocks                             1
6.8e-05       6.8e-05
org-unfontify-region                                          1
6.6e-05       6.6e-05
org-activate-plain-links                                      1
6.4e-05       6.4e-05
org-babel-lob-execute-maybe                                   1
5.7e-05       5.7e-05
org-do-emphasis-faces                                         1
4.7e-05       4.7e-05
org-at-table-p                                                2
4.6e-05       2.3e-05
org-babel-lob-get-info                                        1
4.4e-05       4.4e-05
org-at-property-p                                             1
4.2e-05       4.2e-05
org-list-struct-get-parent                                    12
3.999...e-05  3.333...e-06
org-at-table.el-p                                             1
3.9e-05       3.9e-05
org-list-inc-bullet-maybe                                     12
3.899...e-05  3.249...e-06
org-list-struct-origins                                       1
3.6e-05       3.6e-05
org-activate-dates                                            1
3.3e-05       3.3e-05
org-activate-tags                                             1           3e-05
        3e-05
org-activate-angle-links                                      1
2.8e-05       2.8e-05
org-activate-bracket-links                                    1
2.2e-05       2.2e-05
org-activate-code                                             1
2.1e-05       2.1e-05
org-font-lock-add-priority-faces                              1
1.7e-05       1.7e-05
org-mode-flyspell-verify                                      2
1.499...e-05  7.499...e-06
org-babel-hash-at-point                                       1
1.2e-05       1.2e-05
org-before-change-function                                    1
1.2e-05       1.2e-05
org-remove-font-lock-display-properties                       1
1.1e-05       1.1e-05
org-hide-wide-columns                                         1
1.1e-05       1.1e-05
org-list-struct-apply-struct                                  1           9e-06
        9e-06
org-region-active-p                                           1           6e-06
        6e-06
org-fontify-entities                                          1           4e-06
        4e-06
org-activate-target-links                                     1           4e-06
        4e-06
org-raise-scripts                                             1           3e-06
        3e-06
org-do-latex-and-special-faces                                1           3e-06
        3e-06
org-font-lock-add-tag-faces                                   1           3e-06
        3e-06