[Orgmode] Re: [ANN] List improvement v.2

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [ANN] List improvement v.2
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2010 14:09:05 +0200

Hello,

> One possibility to improve performance would then be to have C-c C-c
> not do that, but to only do that when changing a bullet type or so.

> I think that C-c C-c to toggle a bullet is a good key and should be
> fast, also for long lists.

Sorry for not being clear. With the patch, C-c C-c will still be fast!
On my laptop, with a 500+ items list, C-c C-x C-b is now
instantaneous, while C-c C-c has a delay (almost unnoticeable) of
about 0.2 s (that is, both without any statistics to update).

Moreover, reducing C-c C-c to only toggle checkboxes when on a
checkboxed item will prevent anyone to fix indentation, numbering, or
integrity of a list containing only checkboxes with that key-binding.
Look at this list:

1. [ ] some
3. [ ] checkboxed
4. [ ] list

How would you repair it then? You could move an item up and down, but
it doesn't feel so natural.

The gain of speed is so small that I don't think we should bother,
with regards to what we would lose.

Regards,

-- Nicolas