[Orgmode] Re: [OT] Emacs for email?

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 06:25:36 -0500

Ulf Stegemann <address@hidden> writes:

> Rémi Vanicat <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Russell Adams <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Not to reply to myself, but one item I've found lacking in other
>>> mailreaders and one of my primary reasons for using mutt is the
>>> concept of "roles".
>>
>> I'm not sure what a role is, but with gnus, you can change you email
>> address depending on the folder (group in gnus speak) or the topic
>> (topic are a hierarchical organization of group). For this you use
>> posting-style.
>
> There's also `gnus-alias'[1] which allows you to automagically select
> and easily switch identities. An `identity' covers nearly every aspect
> of a message like From-, Reply-To- and other headers, text to be
> pre-filled into the body and of course signatures. Having used quite a
> few mail-/news clients (well, ages ago, I must admit) I never came
> across a more powerful and flexible mechanism for using roles.

I second the recommendation of gnus-alias. I have rules set up to set my
email address automatically depending on the "To" or "Cc" line. And, as
others have mentioned, there's the built-in gnus-posting-styles.

I used wanderlust for a while and it has excellent "role" functionality
built-in (via the variables wl-draft-config-alist and
wl-template-alist).

- Matt