[Orgmode] Re: [OT] Emacs for email?

From: Xavier Maillard
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [OT] Emacs for email?
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 07:30:49 +0100

Le 01/12/2009 22:34, Keith Lancaster a écrit :
> I apologize for the WAY off topic question, but since you folk are emacs
> experts....do you use emacs for email, and if so, what do you use? Org-mode
> caused me to switch to emacs after programming for 30 years in other editors,
> and so like many emacs converts, I'm not wanting to exit the app :-).

I am using Rmail.

I have used all possible MUA for GNU Emacs on Earth but simplicity and
ease of use is really important to me.

- Gnus was and is still too heavy for my needs and it is full of useless
gadgets for me (threads, groups, posting style, ...).
- Wanderlust is nice too and really powerful (virtual folders was why I
chose it). I am now using wl exclusively for NNTP (which I do not
practice that much lately)
- MH and its emacs fronted is nice if you have time to learn how the
system is working (the learning curve is huge in my opinion). So sorry
since it is the one that I preferred.
- VM is more or less an "enhanced rmail".

After several tries at all of them, rmail has still my preference:

- comes with official GNU Emacs distribution
- really simple
- no complex setup (thus not tempted to play with it)

My mail system is like that:

fetchmail -> rmail. Full stop.

When I read an email either I answer to it if needed or it is deleted. I
no longer archive all and everything for years (for nothing). When I
archive something it is outside my way.

Xavier