Re: [Orgmode] Re: clocking in and out in remember buffers - seems to be

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: clocking in and out in remember buffers - seems to be buggy
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 16:26:00 +0100

On Jan 24, 2008, at 4:14 PM, Rainer Stengele wrote:

Carsten Dominik schrieb:

On Jan 22, 2008, at 10:04 PM, Rainer Stengele wrote:

I use to clock in a task when beginning to write in a remember buffer.
For example when receive a phone call from a customer I pop up a
remember template and the first thing I do is to start the clock.

- it would be very nice to have a way to do this automatically, maybe
a certain variable ...

You could use remember-mode-hook to run org-clock-in, maybe depending
on some string that you find and remove in the buffer. The string could
be part of the template, for example CLOCK-IN:

(add-hook 'remember-mode-hook 'my-start-clock-if-needed)
(defun my-start-clock-if-needed ()
 (save-excursion
   (goto-char (point-min))
   (when (re-search-forward " *CLOCK-IN *" nil t)
      (replace-match "")
      (org-clock-in))))

After writing down notes and doing some stuff, documenting further in
the clocked in remember buffer, I finally want to save and close the
remember template.
After for example "C-u C-c C-c" I am asked if I want to clock out...

The query happens when the buffer gets killed - by then it is too late, the
content of the buffer has already been filed away.

I will (in 5.20) have a check if the clock is running in the remember buffer before allowing you it file it. This will not be an automatic clock-out
because that would lead to trouble with possibly adding a note about
clocking out. But it will stop you from exiting without clocking out first.

- Carsten

Hello Carsten,

thank's a lot! Good idea!

I tried it, using different regexes. It does not work when starting the remember buffer. Being inside the remember buffer and calling the function it does work!
How can I track that down?
Btw, I cannot see a modeline telling me that I am in "remember mode" when I am in the Remember buffer.
Also "C-h m" doesn't show me anything about remember?

Yes, when you use Org-mode together with remember, the
buffer is actually in Org-mode, to make it easier
to use org-mode specific stuff.  However, remember first puts
the buffer into remember-mode, therefore the hook is run.

I am not sure why things don't work.  Take a look at the variable
`remember-mode-hook'.  What is its value?

- Carsten

rainer