Re: [Orgmode] depending TODOs, scheduling following TODOs automatically

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] depending TODOs, scheduling following TODOs automatically
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 03:42:35 +0100

"Eddward DeVilla" <address@hidden> writes:

> My only real issue is that I tend to think of task dependencies in
> terms of the other tasks a given task is waiting on rather than what
> other tasks are waiting on a given task.

Ok, then:

* Task A
* Task B
  :PROPERTIES:
  :>TODO: {TODO 'previous "DONE"}
  :END:

  => becomes TODO when previous tasks is DONE.

> This feels a little backward to me, but I could still use it.  I'd
> still have to think about how to use this to make projections, but all
> the info is there for that.

Sure!

Two ideas again:

1) one aspect of Org is that it is very *fast*; we can change the TODO
   state of an item with just one keystroke.  Making this change trigger
   actions should require some kind of double-check, otherwise we could
   end up with a lot of changes that we're not fully aware of.

   One way to check the triggered changes is to build an actions pool
   gathering all actions to be performed, then ask the user if he wants
   to perform them.

2) In my proposal, the actions are just triggered by TODO state changes.
   But each action could affect or be affected by any property.

* Task A
  :PROPERTIES:
  :COLOR: red
  :END:

* Task B
  :PROPERTIES:
  :>TODO: {COLOR 'previous "green"}
  :END:

  => becomes TODO when previous tasks property COLOR is "green".

Bastien