Re: [Orgmode] Re: depending TODOs, scheduling following TODOs automatica

From: Jason F. McBrayer
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: depending TODOs, scheduling following TODOs automatically
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 13:09:04 -0400

Rainer Stengele <address@hidden> writes:

> I also do not expect to grow Org into anything near a "full" PM.
> But I do would be more than glad to get some basic (trigger or blocker)
> functionality to model dependencies between todos.

I would think that setting these up initially would require as much
work and attention as simply managing them manually.

> Again, one of my main needs would be to hide todos until other todos
> are in a certain state. Then show them after the trigger is pulled.
> At the moment I have to a lot of todos in my agenda which I cannot
> work on because of the "trigger" not ready. Or I have to "undo" the
> todos to not see them and not forget to trigger them myself at the
> right moment.

What I do is mark tasks that can't be done yet as either NEEDSPREREQ
or WAITING, or put them in my SomedayMaybe.org file if there's no
possibility I'll get to them before my next weekly review.  I only
look at NEXTACTION tasks when I'm choosing a task to do, and when I
complete a task, I look at its project to see if any NEEDSPREREQ tasks
can now be done.  If so, I change those to NEXTACTION.

Yes, it would be possible to annotate these with a hook of some kind
so that they are changed from NEEDSPREREQ to NEXTACTION
automatically.  But my feeling is that doing that would frontload the
planning process too much, take just as much time/attention, and
overall interfere with getting things done.

| Jason F. McBrayer                    address@hidden  |
| If someone conquers a thousand times a thousand others in |
| battle, and someone else conquers himself, the latter one |
| is the greatest of all conquerors.  --- The Dhammapada    |