emacs-humanities

Re: [emacs-humanities] Citations in org-mode

From: Joseph Johnson
Subject: Re: [emacs-humanities] Citations in org-mode
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2021 10:08:06 -0500

I personally recommend Pandoc for this, especially if you need to
export to Word. Here's a general idea of how the process works.

First steps: export a BibTeX bibliography in .bib format (I use Zotero
and Better BibTeX for this) and download the .csl file [1]
corresponding to whatever citation style you want Pandoc to use.

Now, in the header of your org file, put lines like these:
#+csl: /path/to/the/citationstyle.csl
#+bibliography: /path/to/your/library.bib

You can then write your paper while citing texts using the Pandoc
format [2], which is basically [@citekey, pagenum].

To export a document with correctly formatted references, something
like the following command will work:

 pandoc -s --filter pandoc-citeproc input.org -o output.docx

That should be all that is necessary to start writing and generating
references correctly. To really improve your workflow, though, I
recommend looking into helm-bibtex [3], which will make working with
your citations and references an absolute breeze.

One final note: to add syntax highlighting for Pandoc citations in
org, I have these lines in my config:

  (font-lock-add-keywords 'org-mode
                          '(("\\[@.*?\\]" . font-lock-keyword-face)))
  (font-lock-add-keywords 'org-mode
                          '(("\\[-@.*?\\]" . font-lock-keyword-face))))

I hope this helps!
Joe

Footnotes:
[1] https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles
[2] https://pandoc.org/MANUAL.html#citations
[3] https://github.com/tmalsburg/helm-bibtex

--
Dr. Joseph R. Johnson
Assistant Professor of French and Francophone Studies