emacs-humanities

Re: [emacs-humanities] Citations in org-mode

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: [emacs-humanities] Citations in org-mode
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2021 08:53:27 +0100

On Tue, Feb 09 2021, Greg Bognar via Emacs-humanities wrote:
> So: is there a good primer on how to use citations (preferably from BibTeX) in
> org?  And, in particular, on how to do it when you need to convert your org
> file
> to docx?

AFAIK the only system for citations in Org is org-ref, but it seems to assume
exporting to LaTeX. The manual says that there's only "basic support for HTML
and ASCII export".[1]

So if you want to do citation processing (i.e., converting your citation
commands to actual citations and creating the list of references), your options
seem to be limited to using LaTeX or Pandoc. Pandoc apparently supports
Pandoc-style citations in Org source documents (at least that's what `pandoc
--list-citations=org` tells me), so if you need to export to docx, that seems to
be the way to go.

I don't know how easy it is to configure org-ref to produce Pandoc-style
citations, with Ebib, if you're inclined to use that, it's easy.

HTH

Joost

Footnotes:
[1]  https://github.com/jkitchin/org-ref/blob/master/org-ref.org#other-exports