emacs-humanities

Re: [emacs-humanities] Extending Emacs Bookmarks to Work with EWW

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: [emacs-humanities] Extending Emacs Bookmarks to Work with EWW
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2021 02:11:49 -0600

On 02 Feb 2021, Oliver Taylor via Emacs-humanities wrote:
Hello! I have a draft of a note/article/post I want to eventually share with the “community”, and I wondered if those of you here would be interested in checking it for problems/errors, or if you had any ideas to expand it. I use the EWW browser quite a bit (mostly via Elfeed) and recently learned about Emacs’s bookmarks. I was disappointed to discover that while one can bookmark files, directories, magit buffers, elfeed searches, there is no such support for EWW. My note demonstrates how extend Emacs to do that. https://www.olivertaylor.net/notes/emacs-extending-bookmarks.html Let me know what you think!

That's a great post!

This got me curious. I was somewhat surprised that EWW didn't already supply a bookmark handler function. So I looked at lisp/net/eww.el in the Emacs sources and found that EWW actually has its *own* bookmarking code entirely -- apparently, a totally different system from the generic bookmark.el in Emacs. (Seriously: search for "bookmark" in eww.el and you'll see a whole other system implemented.)

While the EWW system doesn't predate bookmark.el (since bookmark.el almost predates the World Wide Web itself, it must certainly predate EWW), the EWW bookmark system *may* date from the time before bookmark.el bookmarks were made extensible in the way that your post describes... Well, I checked, and that's not the case either. EWW's bookmark system was added in 2013, and bookmark.el bookmarks were already extensible in 2008 or 2009.

However, maybe EWW bookmarks are not exactly the same functionality as generic Emacs bookmarks, so that there is some reason why EWW has its own implementation? I don't know.

Anyway, your post is very clear. If you ever find out what the difference is (if any) between EWW's "native" bookmarks and bookmark.el bookmarks, I'd love to learn more, either here or in a new post.

Best regards,
-Karl