Re: treesit indentation "blinking"

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: treesit indentation "blinking"
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 00:25:29 +0100

On Thu, Mar 30, 2023 at 12:13 AM Herman, Géza <geza.herman@gmail.com> wrote:

> João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > And then my personal opinion is that it is an annoying
> > feature to have on by default as it whole lines about.
> > Having electric-indent-chars set to '(?\n), like c++-mode
> > has, is fine.
> While c++-mode has only ?\n in electric-indent-chars, it does electric
> indentation by other means. For example, ":" is bound to c-electric-colon,
> which behaves the same as you described c++-ts-mode previously: the
> "std" keeps dancing around as you put one and then two colons after it.
>
> In my opinion, this issue has two different parts:
>
> 1.  design problem which cannot be really solved.  Like this "std::"
> thing.  The editor cannot read the programmer's mind (whether they will
> put a second colon or not).  And because c++-mode behaves the same, I
> don't really think this is a bug.  Or at least it is just a small one.

If we're going to use c++-mode as a reference, then, without
electric-pair-mode you get another class of "bigger" bugs.  Just type

emacs -Q thingy.cpp -f c++-ts-mode

int main () { RET for (;;) {printf("infloop"); RET }

it still bounces around.  c++-mode doesn't.  Sure, you may say
"oh that's because the c++-ts-mode indenting is off".  OK, then I say
"when/if it's ever fixed, then we can add these extra
electric-indent-chars".

João