Re: continuation passing in Emacs vs. JUST-THIS-ONE

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: continuation passing in Emacs vs. JUST-THIS-ONE
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 15:00:38 -0400

> (defun await (future)
>   (let (z)
>     (while (eq 'EAGAIN (setq z (funcall future)))
>       ;; TODO poke sit-for/io on yield?  how?
>       (sit-for 0.2))
>     z))

This blocks, so it's the equivalent of `futur-wait`.
I.e. it's the thing we'd ideally never use.

> Assuming alet (async let) macro, which binds var when async process
> finishes with the value of its output:

I.e. what I called `future-let*`.

> (alet p1 '("which" "emacs")
>   (when p1
>     (alet p2 `("readlink" "-f" ,p1)
>       (when p2
>         (message "@@@ %s" p2)))))

Your syntax is more concise because it presumes all your async objects
run commands via `make-process`, but other than that it seems to be
doing basically the same as my code, yes.

> or even await async process inside async process:
>
> (await
>  (async
>    (alet p `("readlink" "-f" ,(await
>                                (async
>                                  (alet p '("which" "emacs")
>                                    (when p
>                                      (yield p))))))
>      (when p
>        (yield p)))))

You use `await` which will block Emacs :-(

> I think this provides nicer interface for async code than futur.el and
> even comes with a working example.

I think you just reinvented the same thing, yes :-)

>>    (concat foo (future-wait (futur-let* (...) ...)))
>
> Looking at other languages, they do it explicitly.  The reason is, that
> one might want to save the future, do something else and await the
> future later at some point.  Not await it immediately:
>
>    (let ((future (futur-let* (...) ...)))
>      (concat foo (future-wait future)))

I suspect that a better option would be instead of:

    (let ((future (futur-let* (BINDS...) BODY)))
      (concat foo (future-wait future)))

to use

    (futur-let* (BINDS...
                 (s BODY))
      (concat foo s))

The difference is that it doesn't return a string but a `futur`, so if
you want the string you need to use `future-let*` or `futur-wait`.
The advantage is that you still have the choice to use `future-let*`
rather than `futur-wait`.

        Stefan