Re: continuation passing in Emacs vs. JUST-THIS-ONE

From: Jim Porter
Subject: Re: continuation passing in Emacs vs. JUST-THIS-ONE
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 11:58:53 -0700

On 3/13/2023 11:39 PM, Karthik Chikmagalur wrote:
It would probably be reasonable to add a more asynchronous-oriented way
of working with generator.el's CPS machinery, but I think the bigger
problem is just the time to fix existing code that's not doing the right
thing.

What needs to be fixed in generator.el for this?

I was thinking something like the emacs-aio library you mentioned, actually. It's less that generator.el is broken (I don't think it is, at least), and more that it's not the interface I'd use for writing asynchronous code.

That said, something that looks like emacs-aio might not be the best answer either; it will probably take some experimentation to see what would be most usable (and what would have acceptable performance). I seem to recall that Stefan Monnier (CCed) mentioned having some WIP code to make generator.el easier to use for asynchronous code...