Re: Indentation and gc

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Indentation and gc
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2023 10:27:47 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> What exactly should we use as a metric for the effects of
>> gc-cons-threshold changes?
>
> I guess the output of memory-info should be good, in addition to
> memory-limit.

I am not sure what it will convey to us. System memory state greatly
depends on other programs running alongside Emacs. I do not see much use
to track (memory-info) for every GC. Just initially, to catch system
memory stats.

> But that's the possible downside of higher GC thresholds; other
> important indications are the time spent in GC and the average
> duration of a GC cycle.

Sure. gcs-done and gc-elapsed can be recorded after every GC. gc-elapsed
will directly provide data on total GC duration and running difference
of gc-elapsed will provide detailed statistics on GC cycle duration.

I will now try to record the data on my sessions and share it later.
We can then see what useful information can actually be extracted.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,