Re: Indentation and gc

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Indentation and gc
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 15:45:36 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> See the attached statistics data example.
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> Looks useful, thanks.

Feel free to share the ideas on what else we could record there.
Once we decide what kind of data we want to collect, I can announce the
package, asking people to report the statistics.

>> > If the Emacs memory usage in system monitor is 1.7 Gib, how come
>> > memory-limit says it's 6.5 GiB?
>>
>> 6.5Gib is virtual memory. 1.7Gib is actually used memory - the value
>> people usually mean when considering memory footprint.
>
> You mean, the process has a 6.5 GiB footprint, out of which only 1.7
> GiB are being used, and the rest is free?  That'd mean awfully
> inefficient libc implementation of malloc.

I mean the following output for "top" bash command

  PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU  %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND
31838 yantar92  20   0 1843744 800648 121684 S   0.3   5.0   1:12.48 emacs

VIRT is virtual memory and RES (or %MEM) is actually used.

Except that this one is 20 minutes uptime and 6.5GiB is after 2 days,
stabilizing earlier.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,