Re: Indentation and gc

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Indentation and gc
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 10:28:22 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Moreover, VIRT can exceed Memory + Swap combined.
>
> Yes, because VIRT includes the "reserved" memory, which is memory not
> yet in-use, but which the application "reserved" for itself and
> generally intends to use at some point, and so it cannot be used by
> other processes.  See
>

> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2440434/whats-the-difference-between-reserved-and-committed-memory
>   https://www.baeldung.com/linux/resident-set-vs-virtual-memory-size

Then, from what I can read, it does not look like VIRT truly represents
how much memory Emacs is going to use. It is safe to assume that only a
fraction of VIRT will be used in practice.

That said, we can probably rely on relative changes in VIRT data, if it
is recorded.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,