Re: new package: tramp-docker

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: new package: tramp-docker
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 18:54:16 +0200

Brian Cully <bjc@spork.org> writes:

Hi Brian,

>> Are you sure, that /bin/sh will always exist in containers?
>
> No, I don't think it's possible to know that for sure. But I think
> Docker only supports *nix containers, in which case it's a reasonable
> assumption. Even Guix has /bin/sh and /usr/bin/env.

It's almost true. But on Android, for example, it doesn't exist. There's
/system/bin/sh instead.

>> And shouldn't
>> we rather use tramp-default-remote-shell instead of hard-coding
>> "/bin/sh", for the benefit of customization?
>
> I wasn't aware of `tramp-default-remote-shell' at all, but it seems
> like that's what should be used rather than hardcoding the value.

I've changed it accordingly. And I've also changed
tramp-docker--completion-function in order to make it more robust.

I've also tested, whether tramp-direct-async works out-of-the box, it
doesn't. I'm pretty sure we could make it running, it just needs some
more love.

> -bjc

Best regards, Michael.