Re: [ELPA] new package: tramp-docker

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: [ELPA] new package: tramp-docker
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 18:56:33 +0200

Brian Cully <bjc@spork.org> writes:

Hi Brian,

[pls keep the Cc, for the archives]

> On 9/24/22 06:34, Michael Albinus wrote:
>> It works almost in the Tramp environment. So I propose I add it (in your
>> name) to the Tramp and Emacs git repositories, master branch. After that
>> I'll apply some changes for better integration, like removing
>> tramp-docker-setup and friends, which aren't needed anymore.
>
> This sounds fine to me.

OK, done. tramp-docker.el exists now in both the Tramp and Emacs
repositories. Please check my changes, whether everything looks proper
to you.

>> You have a comment ";; todo: check tramp-async-args and
>> tramp-direct-async" which I didn't follow yet, but this can be
>> investigated also afterwards.
>
> That comment is there because I stumbled across the variable while
> looking at some re-entrant Tramp errors, and it seemed like it may
> solve them, but I couldn't find enough explanation to see if it would
> apply to the docker case (though it seems like it should?). Feel free
> to remove it if it suits you to do so.

The idea of these settings is to improve asynchronous processes
speed. It might also reduce the "forbidden reentrant call" errors in
process sentinels and filters, but they cannot be avoided in general,
because they happen also for timers. I will check tomorrow or so whether
we could apply these settings.

Another question: You have

         (tramp-login-args (("exec")
                            ("-it")
                            ("%h")
                            ("/bin/sh")))
         (tramp-remote-shell "/bin/sh")

Are you sure, that /bin/sh will always exist in containers? And shouldn't
we rather use tramp-default-remote-shell instead of hard-coding
"/bin/sh", for the benefit of customization?

> -bjc

Best regards, Michael.