Re: [ELPA] new package: tramp-docker

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: [ELPA] new package: tramp-docker
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 12:34:37 +0200

Hi Brian,

>> Let me read the code over the weekend. Likely, we can simply add your
>> (slighly modified) file to the Tramp repo. After that, we can think
>> about enhancements, like Tramp manual update, implementing host name
>> completion, etc. This stuff.
>
> I've just seen there's already completion functionality. Hmm, let me
> read (test) the code, before I make further suggestions.

It works almost in the Tramp environment. So I propose I add it (in your
name) to the Tramp and Emacs git repositories, master branch. After that
I'll apply some changes for better integration, like removing
tramp-docker-setup and friends, which aren't needed anymore.

There are some minor problems with tramp-docker--completion-function,
because I'm running Fedora 36 and using the "docker" command, which emits
an additional message when /etc/containers/nodocker doesn't exist. But
these things we can fix afterwards.

You have a comment ";; todo: check tramp-async-args and
tramp-direct-async" which I didn't follow yet, but this can be
investigated also afterwards. Also multi-hops I didn't check yet.

Do you agree? With this approach, tramp-docker.el would be part of Tramp
2.6 and Emacs 29. Later, when Tramp 2.6 is distributed via GNU ELPA, it
will be available also for older Emacsen down to Emacs 26. Roughly, I
expect this for the end of this year (but pls don't beat me when there
are delays).

Best regards, Michael.