Re: [ELPA] new package: tramp-docker

From: Brian Cully
Subject: Re: [ELPA] new package: tramp-docker
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 13:31:17 -0400

On 9/24/22 12:56, Michael Albinus wrote:
OK, done. tramp-docker.el exists now in both the Tramp and Emacs
repositories. Please check my changes, whether everything looks proper
to you.

Looks good at first glance. I don't really have time to check functionality right now, but nothing stands out.

Another question: You have

          (tramp-login-args (("exec")
                             ("-it")
                             ("-u" "%u")
                             ("%h")
                            ("/bin/sh")))
          (tramp-remote-shell "/bin/sh")

Are you sure, that /bin/sh will always exist in containers?

No, I don't think it's possible to know that for sure. But I think Docker only supports *nix containers, in which case it's a reasonable assumption. Even Guix has /bin/sh and /usr/bin/env.

And shouldn't
we rather use tramp-default-remote-shell instead of hard-coding
"/bin/sh", for the benefit of customization?

I wasn't aware of `tramp-default-remote-shell' at all, but it seems like that's what should be used rather than hardcoding the value.

-bjc