Re: master 5b3c4004a9 2/2: Remove calls to intern with a static string f

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: master 5b3c4004a9 2/2: Remove calls to intern with a static string from code that runs on X
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 14:18:03 +0000

What "emacs -Q" does is not the only correct behavior out there, is it?

It isn't, but what we ask to anyone who reports a bug is to provide a minimal recipe starting with emacs -Q. I don't see why the problem you see would be different.

Anyway, I've now changed the way the message is displayed, it now uses three leading stars and is redirected to stderr, which is e.g. what the Linux kernel uses. Does that fix your problem?

Once again, you (being a native English speaker) may not find it difficult to understand, but I do, and probably many other people who grew up where I did.

I guess it's a matter of taste. To me this (which is the only message that most people will ever see):

"make all" failed with exit status 2.
You might try to:
- run "make bootstrap", which might fix the problem
- run "make V=1", which displays the full commands invoked by make,
  to further investigate the problem

immediately tells me that there is a build failure, and that I have two options: "make bootstrap" to try to fix the problem, and "make V=1" to investigate the problem. What is unclear to you in that message?